After the visitors go down the shaft and get off the cage, a quarter kilometre of galleries is exposed in front of them, revealing the history of local coal mining from the 18th century to the present. The tour of adits from mid-19th century is accompanied by an interesting commentary; some of the machines are showed in operation. Life-sized miner dummies demonstrate the conditions of underground work in the past.
There is also an opportunity to get acquainted with the form of coal seams and geological strata accompanying them, with safety equipment and in particular with two complete longwall faces. Some cold sweat can be felt by the locking bulkheads of adits, behind which the deadly fire-damps are present - of course, under strict control of measuring instruments.
- overall length of adits: 250 m
- depth: approx. 620 m
- winding tower height: 40 m
- time span covered by the exposition: 1782 - 1990
- first open for public: December 4, 1993
History of the Anselm mine
The mine was founded under the name of Ferdinand by the archdiocese in Olomouc. From 1782 coal was mined by gallery driving, in 1835 deep mine working was introduced. This makes it the oldest deep mine in the Ostrava region. In 1843 the mine was bought by Salomon Mayer Rotschild, who renamed it to Salomon after his son. The mine changed its name several times later - to Petershofen during the German occupation, to Masaryk in 1946, and to Eduard Urx in 1951. Mining here was terminated in 1991.
The museum started to be formed during the final phase of the mine’s operation in 1987. Initially, its objective was to salvage and collect mining technology, documents and photographs related to black coal mining in the Ostrava region. The underground exposition was made accessible to the public in 1993, on the day of the patroness of miners - St. Barbara (December 4). It is located in the adits of the most upper floor of the Anselm mine in the seams of Albert and František. The Anselm mine was proclaimed as cultural monument.