The territory above the alluvial plain of the Odra and Ostravice rivers has offered suitable conditions for settlement from the Old Stone Age (Paleolith) to the present. Due to the strategic location at the northern border of the Moravian Gate it was often necessary to fortify these settlements. The evidence for human settlement are numerous archaeological sites at Landek as well as resourceful historic records.
The first settlement at this site dates back to late Palaeolithic Age (also called Gravettien period), some 23 thousand years ago. From this period evidence was found regarding the first utilization of coal in our territory and one of the first in the world (the oldest indications of this kind come from France, where the primeval people used brown coal). The coked remains of coal in primeval fireplaces at Landek come from the local coal seams, which come to the surface at this part of the area.
At Landek there is also evidence of settlement during the Neolithic Age. Culture objects of Lusatian urn-fields from the late Bronze age were also found here.
At the hilltop of Landek there are the remains of Slavonic fortified settlement from the 8th century AD. The more accessible northern side was protected by a massive bulwark, of which 158 metres were preserved until now. The overall enclosed area was 0.61 hectares. A systematic archaeological survey that would reveal more information about the inhabitants of the hillfort has not been carried out yet.
Between the 11th and 17th century this was place where the castle of Landek stood. Přemysl Otakar II. is generally considered its founder. Period records indicate that it was of rectangular ground-plan, with towers in the corners. It was torn down by the princes of Opava; there is only a fraction of a wall remaining until these days.
Due to favourable geological conditions, coal mining started as early as in 1782. Since then mining has substantially affected the face of the local landscape.